Teen's death in fall was accidental, inquest jury says
CBC News
Posted: Mar 1, 2013 8:46 PM CST
Last Updated: Mar 1, 2013 10:06 PM CST
Related
Jaidan Lynn Slaferk died in a fall from a catwalk above the stage at the Conexus Arts Centre in Regina. (Facebook)A coroner's jury in Regina has determined a teenager death in a fall from a catwalk at the Conexus Arts was accidental, although several recommendations on event security at the centre were made.
Jaidan Lynn Slaferek, 17, died Jan. 15 after venturing into a backstage area of the centre with friends. The group had been drinking and a pathologist reported Slaferek was severely intoxicated with a blood alcohol content that was four times the legal limit for driving.
The coroner's jury may not make any findings of blame, but can issue recommendations to prevent similar accidents.
In the Slaferek case, the jury made several recommendations relating to security.
For example, companies providing security should have their duties spelled out in writing and they should be have ways to communicate with staff at the centre.
Another set of recommendations concerned ensuring only people who were expected at a function were admitted.
The jury also said the centre should "keep all doors locked that would lead to potential fall hazards [and] post Fall Hazard signs on all doors that directly lead to fall hazard areas."
As well, the jury said the centre should install a house-phone at the stage area and ensure that there is emergency lighting, or emergency flash lights, or direction to light switches, where warranted.
Finally, the jury said all outside doors leading into the facility should be locked and secured when not in use.
Michael Megaw, a lawyer representing the centre, said the centre had already made a number of changes following Slaferek's death.
Nevertheless, he said the centre would be considering the jury's recommendations.
"I thought they gave some excellent recommendations that I will certainly take back," Megaw said. "My client acted on most of those already, and I expect them to act on the balance in due course."
The jury also recommended that when there is drinking at an event, security should approach people who may look underage, and are drinking, and check their ID.
Slaferek's father said he was hoping for more from the jury, relating to alcohol and minors.
"I'm somewhat disappointed we didn't go over to the legal side as far as the underage drinking and providing alcohol to a minor," Rick Slaferek said Friday.
He said he is, nevertheless, satisfied with the recommendations.
He added he will press for harsher penalties for adults who provide alcohol to underage teens.
Share Tools
Latest Saskatchewan News Headlines
- Cheerleading teams compete at U of R
- More than 1,000 young athletes showed off their moves at the University of Regina Cheerleading Championship Saturday. more »
- Man lying on Hwy 2 run over, killed
- RCMP are investigating a fatal collision north of Prince Albert, Sask. about one kilometre south of Christopher Lake, Sask. more »
- Hadfield tweets image of Regina from space
- People on Twitter had the opportunity to see what Regina looks like from space, after Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield shared a picture of the city. more »
- Norovirus ruins a Saskatchewan family's vacation
- A Saskatoon woman is still being treated for norovirus after taking a vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. more »
Top News Headlines
- Egypt's politician skewer, testing the limits of post-revolution satire
- Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart, a former heart surgeon turned late-night TV host whose biting satire has not endeared him to the country's political class. But, as Nahlah Ayed reports, comedian Bassem Youssef may be the revolution's real star. more »
- Quebec papal contender 'ready' but wary of media spotlight
- Quebec Cardinal Marc Ouellet talks about his life and the possibility of becoming the next pope in an exclusive interview with CBC's Chief Correspondent Peter Mansbridge. more »
- B.C. Liberals emergency cabinet meeting underway
- Eighteen Liberal cabinet ministers have gathered to meet with Premier Christy Clark at an emergency cabinet meeting in Vancouver. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Norovirus ruins a Saskatchewan family's vacation
- Giant icicle must go, Saskatoon fire department says
- Man lying on Hwy 2 run over, killed
- Hadfield tweets image of Regina from space
- Storm warning in southern Sask.
- Freezing rain, snow expected in southern Saskatchewan
- Wall weighs in on motorcycle insurance controversy
- Saskatoon Blades extend winning streak to 18
- Man charged after cell phones stolen from hockey players

