Man charged after cell phones stolen from hockey players
Saskatoon man arrested for theft
CBC News
Posted: Mar 1, 2013 12:26 PM CST
Last Updated: Mar 1, 2013 12:20 PM CST
A Saskatoon man has been charged with stealing a number of cell phones out of hockey rink dressing rooms — with an arrest made thanks to GPS, police say.
Saskatoon police started receiving reports from hockey players and their parents late Thursday night, saying their phones had been stolen from the Kinsmen arena in the 1400 block of Avenue P South on the city's west side.
Witnesses said that before the thefts, a suspicious-looking man had been seen going around saying he was collecting cans and bottles.
Fortunately, at least one of the stolen phones had GPS, so officers were able to track the signal to a home in the 500 block of Russell Rd.
Police said they searched the home and found around seven phones, many of which had been stolen from the dressing room.
A man, 34, has been charged with theft under $5,000.
Share Tools
Latest Saskatchewan News Headlines
- Cheerleading teams compete at U of R
- More than 1,000 young athletes showed off their moves at the University of Regina Cheerleading Championship Saturday. more »
- Man lying on Hwy 2 run over, killed
- RCMP are investigating a fatal collision north of Prince Albert, Sask. about one kilometre south of Christopher Lake, Sask. more »
- Hadfield tweets image of Regina from space
- People on Twitter had the opportunity to see what Regina looks like from space, after Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield shared a picture of the city. more »
- Norovirus ruins a Saskatchewan family's vacation
- A Saskatoon woman is still being treated for norovirus after taking a vacation in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. more »
Top News Headlines
- Egypt's politician skewer, testing the limits of post-revolution satire
- Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart, a former heart surgeon turned late-night TV host whose biting satire has not endeared him to the country's political class. But, as Nahlah Ayed reports, comedian Bassem Youssef may be the revolution's real star. more »
- Quebec papal contender 'ready' but wary of media spotlight
- Quebec Cardinal Marc Ouellet talks about his life and the possibility of becoming the next pope in an exclusive interview with CBC's Chief Correspondent Peter Mansbridge. more »
- B.C. Liberals emergency cabinet meeting underway
- Eighteen Liberal cabinet ministers have gathered to meet with Premier Christy Clark at an emergency cabinet meeting in Vancouver. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Norovirus ruins a Saskatchewan family's vacation
- Giant icicle must go, Saskatoon fire department says
- Man lying on Hwy 2 run over, killed
- Hadfield tweets image of Regina from space
- Storm warning in southern Sask.
- Freezing rain, snow expected in southern Saskatchewan
- Wall weighs in on motorcycle insurance controversy
- Saskatoon Blades extend winning streak to 18
- Man charged after cell phones stolen from hockey players

