Sex offender Graham James's sentence extended to 5 years
Retired NHL star Theo Fleury calls Manitoba ruling 'great day for all survivors'
The Canadian Press
Posted: Feb 15, 2013 10:51 AM CST
Last Updated: Feb 15, 2013 11:57 AM CST
One of his victims rejoiced online Friday when the Manitoba Court of Appeal more than doubled the sentence of child molester and former junior hockey coach Graham James.
"This is a great day for all survivors," retired NHL star Theo Fleury, who played for the Calgary Flames, said in a post on Twitter after the court increased James's sentence to five years from two.
Another victim, Greg Gilhooly, was more circumspect. Gilhooly also was abused by James and says the ordeal took a huge toll on him: costing him his marriage and affecting his legal career. "Our system still isn't adequately prepared to deal with monsters. And Graham is a monster. When I hear five years, that's not enough in my book."
It was largely because of Fleury that James faced a second set of charges for molesting junior hockey players under his care.
He had been convicted in 1997 for sex assaults against three others, including former NHLer Sheldon Kennedy.
Appeal courts don't often interfere with sentences.
"An appellate court should not intervene in either the duration of the sentence, or the type of sentence ordered, absent an error in principle or unless the sentence is demonstrably unfit," Justice Alan MacInnes wrote on behalf of the three-judge panel.
In this case, he said, trial judge Catherine Carlson did make a mistake during James's sentencing in Winnipeg last year.
"The decision of the judge was thorough and thoughtful. Notwithstanding, I have concluded that she erred."
James was a rising star among junior hockey coaches in the late 1980s and early 1990s. He had been named man of the year by The Hockey News in 1989 after coaching the Swift Current Broncos to a WHL championship and Memorial Cup.
He became general manager and coach of the Calgary Hitmen in 1994. At that point, he'd already been molesting players under his guidance for years.
He started with Fleury in 1984 and selected Fleury's cousin Todd Holt for similar treatment in 1989. James pleaded guilty to molesting both men when they were teenagers.
He was given two years, but the Crown argued in its appeal that Carlson had erred in her application of sentencing principles and put too much weight on the 3 1/2 years he received in 1997 for abusing other young players, including Kennedy.
MacInnes said James does deserve some credit for turning his life around since his original conviction.
"During the 14 years between the completion of his 1997 sentence and the date of his sentence under appeal, the accused, through therapy and his own efforts, has been able to control and redirect his sexual preference away from minors," the judge wrote.
"The accused has become a rehabilitated and contributing member of society."
If not for that, he would have faced a sentence of eight years, MacInnes said.
"In my view, an eight-year sentence without adjustment for totality would, in all of the circumstances, be a crushing sentence not in keeping with the accused's record and prospects," the judge wrote.
Latest Saskatchewan News Headlines
- Transgender woman files human rights complaint
- Rohit Singh has filed an official complaint with the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission more »
- Fire destroys hotel in Lafleche, Sask.
- Fire has destroyed a hotel in Lafleche, Sask. more »
- Work could soon begin on oft-delayed Regina condo project
- Work is set to begin on the much-anticipated and oft-delayed Capital Pointe condominium project in downtown Regina. more »
- Man assaulted with hammer on Saskatoon's west side
- Police are investigating a Tuesday night brawl that sent one man to hospital with serious injuries. more »
Top News Headlines
- Harper 'not consulted' about Duffy Senate expense repayment
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper says that not only did he not know about his chief of staff's "gift" to repay Senator Mike Duffy's expenses before the story broke in the media, he was not consulted and did not sign off on Nigel Wright's decision to write a personal cheque. more »
- Ford ally says mayor told to limit comments on alleged crack video
- Legal advice may be behind Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's decision to stay silent in the wake of allegations he was recorded smoking what appears to be crack cocaine. more »
- 'You will see him again in heaven,' Sharlene Bosma tells daughter
- Sharlene Bosma told more than 1,000 people at the public memorial service for her slain husband, Tim Bosma, about the love they shared. more »
- Obama to visit Oklahoma following deadly tornado
- Rescue workers raced to complete the search for survivors and the dead in the Oklahoma City suburb where a mammoth tornado destroyed countless homes, cleared lots down to bare red earth and claimed 24 lives, including those of nine children. more »
- Controversy swirls around chief who sexually assaulted teen
- Regina OKs Albert Street nightclub
- Missing Biggar-area man's body recovered from slough
- RCMP seek suspect accused of assault on teen
- Singer who flubbed U.S. anthem returns for redemption
- Blades could skate into final with win tonight
- Aboriginal woman settles lawsuit over 3½ years solitary confinement
- Officials promote Sask. carbon capture project
- Train carrying crude oil derails east of Saskatoon