Elderly man charged in alleged drive-by shooting
Posted: Aug 8, 2012 6:26 AM CST
Last Updated: Aug 7, 2012 9:49 PM CST
A 74-year-old man who was missing last week is now being charged with attempted murder.
Albert Clarence Kaiswatum is the suspect in a drive-by shooting that happened on Piapot First Nation on July 29. A 25-year-old man was shot at, while walking on the main road of the reserve. At the time, RCMP said he was in serious condition.
Kaiswatum disappeared shortly after. He was last seen at a Centennial Bingo in Regina's north end on August 1. Friends and family were concerned for Kaiswatum's wellbeing as he regularly takes prescription medication.
Police said the elderly man was found healthy and in good spirits at Northgate Mall over the weekend.
Police also said Kaiswatum was a possible suspect in the shooting before he went missing, but the search for him was unrelated to their investigation.
Kaiswatum makes his first court appearance Wednesday.
The Piapot First Nation is about 20 kilometres northeast of Regina.
Latest Saskatchewan News Headlines
- Province mulls creation of prize-fighting commission
- The provincial government may get into the fighting ring as officials consider the pros and cons of establishing a combative sports commission. more »
- Senator Merchant remains mum on off-shore trust
- While many senators are talking about the expense scandal this week, one senator from Saskatchewan has remained mum about a separate controversy involving an off-shore trust. more »
- Man charged in brutal Saskatoon attack
- Police have charged a 24-year-old man with fracturing another man's skull in a brutal attack. more »
- Blades' Dalton Thrower suspended for rest of Memorial Cup
- The Canadian Hockey League has suspended Saskatoon Blades defenceman Dalton Thrower for the rest of the Memorial Cup tournament for his check to the head on Portland Winterhawks forward Taylor Leier. more »
Top News Headlines
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- A week after bombshell allegations that Toronto Mayor Rob ford was videotaped smoking crack, the mayor's chief of staff was fired and Ford is continuing to stonewall reporters. more »
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. more »
- SNC-Lavalin letter says Gadhafi son offered VP post: RCMP
- SNC-Lavalin's ties to Libya's former dictatorship ran so deep the company offered the son of Moammar Gadhafi a six-figure job as a vice president in 2008, according to a newly unsealed RCMP affidavit. more »
- Federal Court won't remove MPs over robocall allegations
- The Federal Court says it won't throw six MPs out of seats over allegations of widespread vote suppression through automated robocalls in the 2011 federal election. more »
- Saskatchewan gets D on health report card
- Regina man dies after north end incident
- Wallin refuses to answer questions about repaying expenses
- Gordon Barnhart critical of Senate expense claims he saw as clerk
- Delayed sentencing of chief frustrates some
- Senator wipes tears from eyes discussing expenses scandal
- Fire destroys only bar in Lafleche, Sask.
- End solitary confinement, says former female inmate
- Transgender bride files human rights complaint