The use of shock collars is generating debate after the Moose Jaw Human Society found a dog that appeared to have been injured by such a device.
"We took her over to the vet and after shaving her neck areas down they could tell it was damage from a shock collar," Kristyn McEwen, executive director of the humane society, said.
The group posted pictures of the stray dog to Facebook, noting the humane society is opposed to the use of shock collars.
"We definitely do not support that," McEwen said. "We don't support fear-based punishment training to any degree. It's obviously hurting an animal in any area whether you think it's training or not."
On the other side of the debate, people with experience training dogs view the device as a useful tool when used properly.
Julie Doyle works at an obedience training school and uses a shock collar on her own dog.
"It's just a very light shock," Doyle said. "All it does is it just distracts them in the moment."