Saskatchewan's Corrections Ministry is reviewing its procedures after a prisoner allegedly pulled a razor on guards, compelling them to remove his leg shackles to enable an escape.

Steven Eric Best is back in custody today after escaping from Saskatoon's Royal University Hospital Tuesday morning.

Best, 29, was arrested at 10:25 p.m. CST after being seen downtown in a vehicle, Saskatoon police said.

Police said that Best was a passenger in the vehicle, but that no charges would be laid against the driver. Police said that Best did not hijack the vehicle, and that the driver "assisted us." Media officer Alyson Edwards would not characterize the relationship between Best and the driver, or how exactly the driver assisted police. 

The arrest, which followed a search involving patrol members, a dog team and a police airplane, happened without incident at Pacific Avenue and 23rd Street East, police said.


Jail inmate Steven Best, 29, was back in custody Tuesday night after escaping from guards at a Saskatoon hospital earlier that day.

Earlier in the day, Best escaped custody at Royal University Hospital where he had been under guard since the weekend with an undisclosed medical condition.

Corrections deputy minister Dale McFee told CBC News that Best had been shackled to a hospital bed.

According to the minister, Christine Tell, Best allegedly held a razor to one of the guard's throats in order to get the other guard to remove the leg shackles.

Police in Saskatoon said Best confined the guards to the room by blocking the door and then made his getaway.

No one was injured.

The incident is now under review to see if proper procedures were followed and whether current procedures are adequate, the ministry said.

Best had been remanded at jail

Court documents show Best had been previously remanded at the Saskatoon Correctional Centre and was facing six charges related to an incident at the Senator Hotel in Saskatoon on Dec 20, 2012.

Those charges include armed robbery, discharge of a weapon and possessing an unregistered handgun — a Walther PPK.

Police said he will see a justice of the peace Wednesday night and be before a judge on Thursday.

At the time of his December arrest, Best was on parole as part of an 11½ year sentence, according to the Crown prosecutor and defence lawyer.

Police have not said yet what new charges Best will be facing in connection with Tuesday's escape.