mi-st_marys_villa_humboldt

Three elderly residents died after a carbon monoxide leak at St. Mary's Villa, a special care home in Humboldt, Sask. (City of Humboldt)

The Saskatoon Regional Health Authority has been cited for six contraventions of occupational health and safety rules in the wake of a deadly carbon monoxide leak at a Humboldt nursing home, a government report says.

Three residents of St. Mary's Villa died following the leak on Dec. 26, 2010.

An 89-year-old man died the same day and two women, ages 94 and 98, died Jan. 4 and Jan. 26 respectively.

All three had underlying health problems, but it's believed carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning was a factor in their deaths.

According to a December, 2011, report from the province's Occupational Health and Safety branch that was released Tuesday, the employer:

  • failed to maintain the boiler properly.
  • failed to make sure that the ventilation system was safe.
  • failed to properly supervise employees.
  • didn't train employees to protect their health and safety.
  • didn't develop a plan to deal with carbon monoxide exposure.
  • made various errors dealing with staff on the day of the leak.

The health authority said Tuesday it has already taken steps to address concerns about ventilation and equipment at St. Mary's, including replacing the boiler and installing CO detectors at all its facilities.

It also said it will follow the directions in the occupational health and safety report to improve training and procedures.