Saskatoon firefighters busy with morning emergencies
It has been a busy morning for the Saskatoon Fire and Protective Services Friday morning, responding to a couple of fire calls and a carbon monoxide evacuation.
Crews responded to a garage fire at 207 Smoothstone Crescent just after 6 a.m. CST after a neighbour reported seeing flames in the garage attached to a house.
When firefighters arrived to the home, they found the family was still asleep and got them out.
The garage was not destroyed, but the inside was gutted by the fire.
Damage is estimated about about $50,000.
CO call evacuates building
At about the same time fire crews were called to a building on 8th Street East after a carbon monoxide detector went off.
Firefighters found high readings of the gas inside the building. People from 30 units were forced outside.
Saskatoon City Transit was notified to provide a City bus for people as shelter.
SaskEnergy was notified to respond and found a cold air intake was covered, preventing the building's heating unit from functioning properly.
Once it was fixed, carbon monoxide levels immediately dropped and people were allowed to go back to their apartments.
There were no injuries reported.
Chimney fire under control in minutes
Firefighters were then called to the 600 block of Avenue K South, just before 8 a.m. CST after flames were reported on the roof of a three story home.
Crews had the chimney fire under control in minutes. After searching the inside of the home with a thermal imaging camera it was determined the flames had not spread beyond the chimney.
One person in the home had already evacuated by the time firefighters arrived.
The estimated damages is about $10,000.