hi-fire-saskatoon-120920

Fire crews were called to a smoky apartment on the western edge of the city Wednesday night. (Google Street View)

Saskatoon fire crews were busy Wednesday night after getting calls about a gas leak at an industrial plant and smoke at an apartment building.

Around 10:50 p.m. CST, crews were sent to a manufacturing plant at 240 103rd St. E. after a report of gas. 

When the first engine company arrived, all the employees had already left the building.

Crews found a leak near a gas meter. A SaskEnergy crew arrived to take care of the leak.

No one was injured and employees were allowed to return to work.

About 20 minutes to midnight, the fire department got a another call about smoke at an apartment building at 423 Pendygrasse Rd. on the western edge of the city.

They learned there had been a power outage in the area and when the electricty came back on, a motor from the ventilation system failed, causing smoke to spread throughout the apartment. Residents had to leave their suites. 

No injuries were reported and the smoke dissipated on its own. All residents were allowed to return to their apartments.