Saskatchewan man dies following hantavirus infection

A man has died in the west-central region of Saskatchewan from complications of hantavirus.

A man has died in the past week in the west-central region of Saskatchewan from complications of hantavirus.

A second recent death, of a woman, is also being investigated in the same area, which is in the Heartland Health Region.

Health officials, who have not released details about ages or home communities, believe the cases are not connected.

Hantavirus is a rare but potentially fatal disease that can be contracted through exposure to deer mice droppings.

Sweeping out buildings in the spring — such as cabins or grain bins — may expose people to the virus.

Health officials say people who develop a fever and shortness of breath one to six weeks after exposure to mouse infestations should seek medical attention.