Saskatchewan boy, 13, charged with attempted murder of girl

A 13-year-old boy has been formally charged with attempted murder in the stabbing of a teenage girl in Warman, Sask.

Boy appears in Saskatoon court after police find girl with stab wounds Friday

A 13-year-old boy from Warman, Sask., has been formally charged with attempted murder in the stabbing of a girl who is the same age.

The boy appeared in a Saskatoon courtroom Monday morning as his parents looked on. He will stay in custody and has a bail hearing set for Tuesday.

The Crown prosecutor said outside court that, at this point, he does not intend to apply to have the youth treated as an adult.

Neither the suspect nor the victim can be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. 

The youth was arrested Friday night after police responded to a home in Warman, located about 20 kilometres north of Saskatoon, where a 13-year-old girl was suffering from severe stab wounds.

Police said the boy fled the scene, but was tracked down a short time later. 

A next-door neighbour told CBC News he had heard screaming in the backyard late Friday night.   

"My wife went out to the deck just to look and the young girl was just screaming for help and yelled to her mom that she'd been stabbed," said the neighbour. 

He said the girl's mother and great-grandmother rushed to the back of the home to help the girl. 

The RCMP said it's believed the weapon used was a knife, which is consistent with the multiple wounds the girl suffered. 

The mayor of Warman told CBC News the community is saddened and shocked by the incident. 

"I think for the most part people are respecting the situation and the family, and I think they're just waiting to see how the story unfolds," said Sheryl Spence.

By midday Monday, teens in the community were taking to facebook and other social media to talk about the case. Individuals were posting photos of a boy they believed to be the accused, and pictures of the girl they say sustained the wounds.

Police said Friday the girl is in stable condition and is expected to make a full recovery. 

"We're just very, very thankful that the young lady is doing well and is going to be OK," said Spence. 

She said many youths in the school community probably know both teenagers and will be affected by the news. 

"None of us really knows the situation or what took place," said Spence. "I think that it's wrong for anyone to make any fast assumptions or judge. Nobody knows what took place, and all we can do at this point is just show support."

The Prairie Spirit School Division called in a crisis response team over the weekend to meet with principals of the community's elementary, middle and high schools. The disvision is making counsellors available to anyone who needs help.