Sask. exports surpassed B.C. last year
Saskatchewan exports hit a record $32.6 billion last year, pushing it into fourth place among the provinces, Statistics Canada says.
Export sales increased 10 per cent from the year before, with oil, minerals, oilseeds and fertilizer among the biggest sellers.
In a news release, the Saskatchewan government noted that much of the growth from 2008 to 2012 was in non-U.S. markets, including:
- China ($1.2 billion to $2.5 billion)
- Indonesia ($601 million to $786 million)
- Mexico ($507 million to $734 million)
- Brazil ($396 million to $639 million)
- Bangladesh ($114 million to $279 million)
With last year's surge, Saskatchewan moves ahead of British Columbia as Canada's 4th biggest exporter.