A baseball-loving retired priest has been identified as the man who died following a carbon monoxide leak in Humboldt over the weekend.

Father Roman Schneider, 89, was living at St. Mary's Villa in the town. He was one of more than 30 people who were taken to hospital following the leak.

sk-schneider-roman-2010

Catherine Mazurkewich sent CBC this baseball card from Roman Schneider's coaching days. ((Courtesy Catherine Mazurkewich))

He died on Dec. 26.

Most of the residents are now back in the home, although one woman remains in hospital for observation.

A doctor with the health region confirmed late Tuesday that while Schneider had been seriously ill, carbon monoxide is believed to be a contributing factor in his death.

The incident has prompted the province to consider making carbon monoxide detectors mandatory.

Saskatchewan Health said Wednesday it is working with health regions across the province to find out how many nursing homes and care residences have carbon monoxide monitors. They are not required by law.

Once the inventory is done, the province says it will work with regions to put monitors in all the buildings.

Before he retired, Schneider worked as the parish priest in Cudworth.

It's been almost 20 years since he left the town, but he's still remembered — as much for his message from the ball diamond as from the pulpit.

He coached little league baseball in the small town and fairness was his watchword, residents said.

Catherine Mazurkewich recalled a man with a sense of fun and a sparkle in his eye, always willing to listen and offer good advice.

"He just talked about being fair and doing good and [following] scripture," Mazurkewich said.

Schneider had come to Cudworth from St. Peter's Abbey, a Benedictine monastery in Muenster. His funeral is Thursday at St. Peter's.