mi-emterra-recycling

A processing facility for Regina's recycling program will store materials until September. (CBC)

A new curbside recycling program begins in less than a week in Regina, even though the company that is supposed to sort the items is not ready.

Blue collection bins have been distributed to homes and pickups are set to start in the first week of July.

The items are then taken to a recycling station, for sorting.

However, for the first few months everything collected from the blue bins will sit in storage while the company Emterra finishes its processing facility.

"Emterra will begin processing the material in mid-September," Neil Vandenvort, an official with the City of Regina, said Tuesday. "The facility is ready to receive. It isn't ready to process."

According to the city, the facility was not completed due to delays in construction because of the long winter.

Recycling in Regina, by the numbers:

  • Curbside recycling program has been in development since 2008.
  • Regina has set out 62,000 blue bins.
  • Collection is by contractor Loraas: Eight trucks in fleet, six deployed on pick up days. Twelve new staff for the program.
  • Daily pick ups range from 600 to 1,200 houses each day (depends on area/route).
  • Pick ups are once every two weeks, not the same day as garbage pick up day.
  • Plastics with any number from 1 to 7 on bottom are OK for recycling.
  • Bins must be set out by 7:30 a.m. of pick up day. 
  • Space around bin must be 1.2 metres, to allow truck to get at the bin.
  • Current fee per household: $91.25 (set for at least the next 30 months).
  • Processing at Emterra, facility (when finished) will be 50,000 square feet on 13-acre site.
  • Processing will be by machines which will handle about 95% of the job. About 20 staff will sort the remaining 5%.
  • At Emterra site, there will be about 20 to 30 permanent jobs, depending on the season.
  • Experts expect volume of materials to increase by about 20% during the Christmas season due to flyers and gift packaging.
  • Program to expand to condominiums and apartment buildings by 2015.