Police shooting death to be examined at coroner's inquest
A 2007 police shooting in Saskatoon that left a 38-year-old man dead will be the subject of a coroner's inquest, the provincial justice ministry announced Monday.
Dwayne Charles Dustyhorn was killed on Dec. 22, 2007.
At the time, police reported that they had responded to an early morning 911 call from a residence on the 1200 block of Cumberland Avenue South. According to police, the female caller hung up shortly after connecting to the emergency service. The 911 operator called back, and spoke to a tearful woman who said she was OK.
Police were nevertheless dispatched to the home, a basement apartment in a house. They arrived around 3:00 a.m., CT.
Police said there was a confrontation and reported that Dustyhorn lunged at officers with a knife taped to his hand.
Officers shot the man, who was later pronounced dead at the scene.
Dustyhorn, police said, had been charged Dec. 3 with assaulting his domestic partner and had been ordered by the courts not to contact her. He was scheduled to appear in court on the charge on Dec. 11, but never showed and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
Dustyhorn was the father of two children, and grandfather to one.
The coroner's inquest has been scheduled for five days, beginning June 1, in Saskatoon.
Regina lawyer Keith Kilback will oversee the inquest.