Police brutality alleged in Saskatoon

A Saskatoon man claims he was viciously beaten by police officers recently, in retaliation for something he did ten years ago.
A Saskatoon man has launched a formal complaint alleging he was beaten by police, Kathy Fitzpatrick reports. 1:45

A Saskatoon man claims he was viciously beaten by police officers recently, in retaliation for something he did ten years ago.

Jason Callaghan, 28, told CBC News that he has filed a formal complaint with police outlining his allegations.

Saskatoon police acknowledge they have received Callaghan's complaint and say it has been sent to the provincial Public Complaints Commission, which has the authority to investigate claims.

Jason Callaghan claims police broke his nose in an encounter in mid-March, 2011. (CBC)
Callaghan says he is also considering legal action and maintains he is still suffering from the damage inflicted on him.

"My nose is constant plugged," he told CBC News in a recent interview, adding he has an appointment to see a specialist.

According to Callaghan his nose was broken in two places.

The alleged assault happened in a Saskatoon alley in mid-March when Callaghan was making his way home on foot after a night of drinking.

He says police arrested him, thinking he was someone else.

Revenge for macing incident

Inside the patrol car, once they learned his name, Callaghan claims they got rough.

"I heard the police officer say, 'This is the kid that bear-maced us before,'" he said.

With that, he said, the officers hauled him out of the cruiser, kneed him in his face and beat him.

"They pulled me onto the cement and started to hit me in the head with their flashlights," he said.

Callaghan said he thinks the attack was retribution for an incident in which he used pepper spray on police officers in an encounter a decade ago.

"When I was young, about ten years ago, I pepper-sprayed them in the face," he said.

During the alleged assault this month, Callaghan said at least two other officers stood by and did nothing to intervene.

He said he ended up needing treatment in hospital.

The Public Complaints Commission has 60 days in which to report back to Callaghan on his complaint, to inform him about its findings or provide an interim report if further investigation is required.

The Saskatoon police service declined to talk about the allegations.