RCMP generic sign

RCMP believe an oilfield worker died after being exposed to a poisonous gas last week. (CBC)

RCMP say a 38-year-old man is dead after a possible exposure to a poisonous gas.

The Wawota man was working at a remote oilfield site in the RM of Hazelwood, around 150 kilometres east of Regina.

It's believed the man was exposed to Hydrogen Sulfide, a lethal gas that can be released from the ground during the oil drilling process. The incident is suspected to have happened last Thursday.

An autopsy has been ordered.

Police do not consider the death suspicious.

Provincial Occupational Health and Safety is investigating.