P.A. pool closed by parasite reopens
Several people became sick after swimming in Prince Albert facilities
A public swimming pool in Prince Albert that was closed due to a cryptosporidium outbreak has been reopened.
Several people became sick after visiting the Frank Dunn Pool and Kinsmen Water Park earlier this year. It was determined they had come into contact with cryptosporidium, a parasite.
In response the city closed the water facilities and and increased chlorine levels at the Frank Dunn Pool.
The city says the chlorine has been now been lowered to normal and the pool has reopened.
Cryptosporidium, spread through contact with human or animal waste, can cause serious gastrointestinal illness, including frequent and severe diarrhea.
The effects are not considered life-threatening in most healthy people, but seniors and young children could be at risk for more serious complications.