Nursing home deaths from faulty furnace focus of inquest
A coroner's inquest is set to take place, in March, to examine the 2010 deaths of three nursing home residents in Humboldt who were exposed to carbon monoxide due to a faulty furnace.
Father Roman Schneider, Monica Washkosky and Gertrude Lukan died following a carbon monoxide leak in a wing at St. Mary’s Villa in December 2010.
Another 24 residents and seven staff were ill from the gas leak, which was linked to a malfunctioning heating and ventilation system.
The inquest will run from March 3 to 7 at the Humboldt Uniplex. As is standard practice, the inquest will examine details surrounding the deaths and jury members, who will be selected from the community, may issue recommendations to prevent similar deaths in the future.
The nursing home is operated by the Saskatoon Regional Health Authority which was later prosecuted under Occupational Health and Safety laws.
In a recent assessment report, a regular evaluation that shares feedback from residents and families about the quality of long-term care, officials were told that the fire alarm system at St. Mary's was a source of concern. The report, from June of 2013, noted that some residents and family members felt the fire alarm system was out of date.