Saskatoon's fire marshal slapped Galaxy Cinema with a $250 fine for not having its emergency doors connected to the fire system, preventing people from exiting the theatre after a bear spray attack.
Dozens of people who were watching the comedy We're The Millers were trapped in the dark room Tuesday night after bear repellant was released in the theatre.
People tried to push on the bars of the fire exit doors, but they remained locked. About 150 people were forced out in total, but no one was seriously injured.
"There is lots of documented cases in North America where occupants of a building have been trapped and prevented from egressing from the building because of this kind of an incident," said Wayne Rodgers, Saskatoon's fire marshal.
Rodgers has issued the theatre a $250 ticket and has ordered the theatre to re-evaluate and update their fire emergency plan so all their staff know what to do in case something like this happens again.
"We have also instructed them, in the meantime, to either disconnect the maglocks that are on those doors," said Wayne Rodgers, Saskatoon's fire marshal. "Or at all times when that theatre is occupied that there will be security personnel at those doors, in the event of an emergency, so that they can activate the fire alarm system," he said.
Seven people were treated at the scene by fire crews, who used decontamination gear.
Police said video surveillance from inside the theatre links a woman and two men to the bear spray attack. They are asking anyone with information about the suspect to contact them.