Mould a problem at Saskatoon long-term care facility
Work is underway to remove a build up of a mould at a long-term care facility, the Parkridge Centre, in Saskatoon.
Officials say a leaky roof is to blame for moisture problems in the building.
The situation has been ongoing for the past six years, and was especially noticeable this winter.
"The amount of moisture, particularly this winter, has been a little bit more than what we've normally experienced," David Gibson, an official with the centre, told CBC News Thursday. "And a lot to do with the amount of snow we've had and the freeze-thaw cycles."
According to the centre, since the beginning of this year, a total of 10 patients have been moved to another part of the building.
Their rooms have been sealed off, and crews have been working to remove mould in the walls and repair the leaky roof.
Dr. Julie Kryzanowski, a deputy medical health officer with the region, said the patients were being looked at, by doctors, to determine the effect of the mould on their health.
Kryzanowski added the presence of mould has also affected staff of the centre.
"About 20 staff have reported respiratory symptoms, itchy nose, runny nose, sore throat, sometimes a cough," Kryzanowski said.
She added there is no evidence that exposure to mould causes long-term health effects.
With files from CBC's Kathy Fitzpatrick