More emotion at latest court hearing over child's death

The court appearance of a co-accused in the death of a Regina youngster saw family members expressing grief, outrage and anger.

Co-accused will learn bail decisions next week

A small group holds placards on the steps of the provincial court house in Regina. (Ntawnis Piapot/CBC)

The court appearance of a co-accused in the death of a Regina youngster saw family members expressing grief, outrage and anger.

Kevin Goforth was in court for a bail hearing. He has been charged with manslaughter in relation to the death of a toddler who police said had been neglected and suffered abuse.

He is also accused of injuring the child's sister and faces a charge of criminal negligence causing harm.

According to police, Goforth and his wife Tammy Goforth were the children's caregivers.

"They don't deserve to get out," Marji Shore, the children's aunt, said outside of court Thursday, referring to the question of whether or not the accused should be released from custody pending the next step in the judicial process.

Shore also questioned the charge laid, relating to the death.

"It should be murder and not manslaughter," Shore said. "It should be first-degree murder."

The two accused will not know until next week if their applications for bail were successful.

Thursday's court proceedings followed another emotion-charged day in court on Wednesday, when the mother of the dead child attempted to lunge at Tammy Goforth, whose bail hearing was the day before.

The woman, Goforth's cousin Natasha Goforth, had to be physically removed from the court room.

On Thursday, a number of people gathered on the steps of the court house holding pictures of the children and calling for justice.

Shore also demanded answers from Saskatchewan's social services ministry over the degree to which officials monitored the condition of the children while they were not in their mother's care.

"They should have been checking on those children," Shore said. "They should have been going and doing the home visits."

June Alexis Dawn Goforth died in hospital August 2 of injuries that police said suggested she had been neglected and abused. Her younger sister was also taken to hospital for treatment and has since been released and is reportedly improving.