A survivor of the Moose Jaw fire, Greg Cyca, says he has lost everything but is grateful everybody came out of the Wednesday night blaze alive.

Greg Cyca will spend the next few unexpected days at a Moose Jaw motel after his apartment and all his possessions were destroyed in the fire on the historic High Street.

"It went up very fast, very, very fast," he said. "I can't recall how fast, but you see it — boom!"

Memories of flame and smoke

A motel has become a temporary home for many others who lost their homes in the fire.

Cyca said they're all grateful no one lost their life.

Moose Jaw fire aftermath

The ruins of the building that had been home to dozens of people were demolished Thursday afternoon. (Adrian Cheung/CBC)

"All I can remember is the flames and the smoke and everything else," he said. "We all got out of  the building and [are] thankful that we came out all alive."

Mayor hopes businesses will return

Moose Jaw mayor Deb Higgins is also thankful no one was hurt.

Now, she hopes some of those businesses will rise from the ashes and rubble.

"It's almost too early to tell," she said. "I think getting over the shock of it and seeing what's left, what isn't, where you go from here — it's got to be difficult for the business owners."

A block down from the fire, another old apartment building is still standing, bu for safety reasons, all nearby power and natural gas lines were shut off.

Aftermath leaves some in dark

That left tenants like Rodney Blondeau without lights and heat.

Moose Jaw fire aftermath skpic

Late in the afternoon, a giant pile of rubble was all that was left of the buildings that were destroyed by fire. (Dean Gutheil/CBC)

"It means trying to find food for my fridge because the food spoiled," he said.

This fire has been a miserable experience for many people in Moose Jaw, including Kendra Aamundsen, who lost Vintage Vibe, her antique and vintage clothing store.

She was in bed Wednesday night when she was told about the fire.

Businesswoman hit by 2 major fires

It's the second time a fire has destroyed her shop — the first was 10 years ago when it was in a different location.

"We have no words. We're still in kind of shock to be honest with you," she said.

She says there was nothing left of her business except for a few mannequins. Aamundsen says she doesn't think it's worth it to open again.

As of Thursday night, investigators were still trying to determine the cause.