Man injured in suspected explosion, fire at Regina home

A possible explosion in a Regina home late Tuesday afternoon sent one man to hospital with serious burns.
A loud explosion was heard prior to a fire breaking out at this west end Regina home Tuesday afternoon. ((CBC))
A possible explosion in a Regina home late Tuesday afternoon sent one man to hospital with serious burns.

Firefighters were on the scene at a home on Princess Avenue in Regina's west end battling what was described as an intense interior fire.

It was later reported that there had been an explosion just prior to the fire.

While fire crews battled the flames, neighbours described a somewhat confused scene involving an occupant of the house.

"The fellow was trying the back door, and he was running — just running back and forth," neighbour Shirley Lummerding told CBC News. "He looked over, but it was like he never saw me."

Shirley Lummerding recalls seeing a disoriented man at the scene of a house fire in her neighbourhood. ((CBC))
The next thing Lummerding saw was the man, on foot, making his way up the street away from the burning house.

"He ran down the street," Lummerding said. "Some of the neighbours said they were walking around the block, and they saw that his face was all black, so maybe he didn't know what he was doing."

A short time later, a man presented himself at a Regina hospital. It was reported that he had suffered second-degree burns to 50 per cent of his body.

A spokesperson for the fire department told CBC News that flames were leaping out one side of the house and through the roof when crews arrived. They were able to put the fire out but by early evening were still on the scene, treating hot spots with water.

"That whole back set of windows on the other side of the home, on the west side, every window, the room is just gutted, completely gutted," said Grant Nicurity of the Regina Fire Department in describing some of the damage to the house. "So, there's something significant that occurred here to have that kind of damage happen that quickly."

A smashed chimney was clearly visible at the scene.

Firefighters had been concerned that there could be other people in the home.

"So, obviously that put a little extra effort into the search to make it real quick and precise because this house was well involved," Nicurity said. "But the crews have determined nobody was in this home. So now, the next step is to kind of piece together through our investigator, both fire and police, as to what happened here and what the circumstances were."

Neighbouring homes were not damaged.