Man in wheelchair rescued from Regina house fire
Fire on 200 block of Litzenberger Cres. confined to basement
Two people, including a man in a wheelchair, were taken to hospital following an early-morning house fire in Regina's north end, fire officials say.
The alarm to the 200 block of Litzenberger Cres. came in at 4:10 a.m. CST.
The man, his wife and two adult sons were in the house at the time.
Deputy Chief Layne Jackson told CBC that the sons were able to lift the man out of the home before fire crews arrived.
He and his wife were taken to hospital to be checked out for minor smoke inhalation, Jackson said.
Fire officials said the fire was contained to the basement area. The house suffered extensive smoke and fire damage.
Smoke detectors are being credited with giving the family early warning and saving their lives. Jackson said it was believed the family was sleeping when the time the detectors went off.
"A working smoke alarm gave those occupants the time they needed to safely evacuate the house," Jackson said.
The cause of the fire was accidental, Jackson said Wednesday afternoon, adding it related to the use of candles.