Man, 24, shot by Regina police

A man was taken to hospital after a Regina police officer shot him early Tuesday morning. Later, police said the man was charged with assault and possession of cocaine.

Police lay charges of assaulting an officer and possession of cocaine

A suspect was shot in the leg by a Regina police officer, Dani Mario reports. 1:32

A man was taken to hospital after a Regina police officer shot him early Tuesday morning.

By Tuesday night, the man had been released from hospital — after being treated for a bullet wound to his leg — and was in custody facing numerous charges, including assaulting an officer and possession of cocaine for the purposes of trafficking.

The shooting happened on the 700 block of McTavish St. in the city's North Central area.

Police said they were called to an address on the block at around 5 a.m. CST in connection with a suspicious vehicle.

According to Police Chief Troy Hagen, two officers saw the suspect vehicle in an alley and one of them began walking towards it.

"As the officer approached the vehicle, the vehicle approached him," Hagen said, adding the officer jumped out of the way. "The officer subsequently fired one round from his firearm, which penetrated the windshield and the dash."

Hagen said the bullet also struck a 24-year-old man in the right leg.

Hagen said the vehicle kept moving and the officer tried to enter the vehicle. There was a struggle and the officer was dragged a short distance.

Minor injuries to officer

"The officer received injuries to his arms and to his legs," he said.

The injuries to the officer were described as minor and the two officers were finally able to get the suspect out of the vehicle and place him in custody while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.

A woman who lives on the block and called police about the suspicious vehicle in her alley told CBC News she heard the gunshot.

Regina Police Chief Troy Hagen speaks to media after reporting that a man had been shot by police officers. (Adam Hunter/CBC)

Jennifer Read-Sitter said after calling police she went to bed, but got up a few minutes later when she heard the single shot.

She looked out her back window and saw officers grappling with a man on the ground. It took them about 15 minutes to subdue him, she said.

"It was quite a fight," she said. "It was quite a tussle."

The man was taken to hospital in stable condition and later released to police custody.

Charges laid

On Tuesday night, police issued an update on the case to say the suspect had been charged and would be in court on Wednesday.

In addition to the assault on the officer and drug charges, police said the suspect -- who is from Kamsack, Sask., -- had been charged with assault with a weapon (a vehicle), and breach of an undertaking. 

As is standard procedure in police shooting cases, Hagen said an outside authority would review the Regina police investigation.

According to police, prior to Tuesday's incident officers were involved in three shootings in Regina in the past five years. The most recent case was in October of 2011. There were also shootings in November of 2009 and August of 2008. Police said the suspects in those cases were injured, but none died.