Lightning possible cause of Wadena, Sask., group home fire
5 residents lose all their possessions
Five residents of a group home in Wadena, Sask., have lost their possessions after fire swept through the building Tuesday morning.
And lightning may have been the cause, according to fire officials.
No one was hurt, but the home will have to be rebuilt, according to an official with Mallard Diversified Services Inc., which operates the home.
The residence is for adults with intellectual disabilities. The five are now staying at other group homes in the area.
Possessions lost in blaze
The home is insured, but the insurance might not cover the residents' possessions, said Ryan Calder, executive director of Mallard Diversified.
"They're woken up because the house is on fire. They left the house with what they were wearing," Calder said.
"They're very shaken up. You know, everything they own in the world was left in the house, which is now, for all intents and purposes, gone."
The Wadena volunteer fire department was called to the home on 2nd St. SW at around 1:30 a.m. CST. There had been heavy thunderstorms going through the area at the time.
In addition to the five residents, a staff person was also in the house at the time.
"She was able to get the five occupants out of the house and to safety without any harm," Calder said. "Thank God that happened. That's the important thing."
Crews spent several hours fighting the blaze.
With files from Micki Cowan