La Ronge man sentenced for indecent assault
A La Ronge, Sask. father has pleaded guilty to sex-related crimes against minors dating back more than three decades.
Brian Kozowy, 59, pleaded guilty in the Court of Queen's Bench last week to three counts of indecent assault. The case against him involves victims who were between the ages of 12 and 14 in the 1970s.
He received a conditional sentence of two years less a day with the time to be served in the community. That's to be followed by three years of supervised probation.
During his probation, Kozowy will be forbidden to have contact with any children other than his own, court heard.
Little about the case against him is known, and the Crown would not say why police reopened their investigation into him.
Prosecutor Harold Johnson said the victims did not come forward to police and that investigators stumbled across new information by chance.
In addition to the jail term, Kozowy will also have is name added to a federal sex-offenders registry and have to submit a sample of his DNA to a national crime-tracking databank.
The charge of indecent assault is no longer part of the Criminal Code. The closest similar charge in effect today is one of sexual assault.
- An earlier version of this story said Brian Kozowy received a two-year jail sentence followed by three years of probation. In fact, it was a two-year conditional sentence to be served in the community, followed by three years of probation.Oct 16, 2013 11:18 PM CT
With files from the CBC's David Shield