Gas blast in Regina home sends 3 to hospital
A gas explosion in a north-end Regina home sent a family of three to hospital Sunday.
The condition of the family — a mother, father and a girl — wasn't immediately known, but a neighbour told CBC News he saw the family walking with emergency workers from the scene of the explosion.
Regina police said none of the injuries were life-threatening.
The explosion blew out the windows of the Halleran Place home and knocked it off its foundation. About 10 nearby homes were evacuated.
Officials with police, the ambulance service, fire, SaskEnergy and SaskPower all went to the scene after the first call came in at 11:38 a.m.
Firefighters and police remained on the scene, and crews worked to eliminate an open natural gas source. By mid-afternoon, crews said the gas had been successfully shut off.
A safety perimeter was in place and police were asking the public to avoid the area. Roads were blocked for hours.
Fire crews said the family was having difficulty with the furnace the night before.
"From what we can gather, she went down to use her dryer [Sunday] morning," Fire Marshal Albert Headrick said. "When she turned it on, there was an explosion."
Penny Moran, who lives two houses away, said the family had just finished renovations.
"It was about 11:30 [a.m.] and we just heard this big bang, and we looked outside and the house had no windows in, and it was off the foundation," she said.
Cory Heimbecker, who lives on nearby Donahue Avenue, said he thought there was an earthquake. When he went to see what had happened, he saw that the roof on the affected house was "ruptured a little bit."