Thousands of dollars were raised Monday night at a steak dinner fundraiser for a White City, Sask., youngster who needs surgery after swallowing a small battery.
Khyler Thompson, who's 13 months old, ingested the battery Oct. 13 and remains in hospital after three operations on his throat.
Although the battery was removed, it leaked, and burned his esophagus.
Doctors say Khyler needs another surgical procedure at a Calgary hospital to remove a tube from this throat and to repair damage caused by acid that leaked just above his vocal chords.
"Sometimes he has trouble breathing, especially when he's lying down," said the boy's mother Kayla. "He coughs a lot. It's hard."
Khyler needs specialized treatment and an air ambulance to Calgary which is not covered by the family's health plan.
Some 200 people bought $25 tickets for the steak dinner.
Khyler's father Donnie Thompson said the family is grateful for all the support.
"We have no idea what the costs are going to be. It could be $1,000, it could be $10,000, but this is definitely going to help," he said.
In addition to the steak dinner, people also donated items used for a silent auction.