The fire hall in Rose Valley, Sask., was damaged in a fire this weekend. 

Saturday morning, Dale Whitford, chief of the town's fire department, woke up to a call from security and learned that extreme heat had been detected in the building. 

"I went to check it out and thought that a furnace had maybe overheated," Whitford said. "When I pulled up to the fire hall there was major smoke coming out of the top vent and the doors."

He called dispatch and requested help from nearby towns. 

'It's probably one of the worst feelings I've ever had in my life.' - Dale Whitford

With all the town's firefighting equipment in the hall, all that could be done was wait for help to arrive. 

"It's probably one of the worst feelings I've ever had in my life," said Whitford 

The fire was believed to have originated from a quad that had been plugged into a battery charger the night before. The quad was parked in between the two fire trucks. 

Along with the building, all of the personal protective equipment inside was lost. 

rose valley fire department

Fire fighter helmets, recovered from the fire in the local fire hall. Rose Valley, Sask., lost most of its equipment in a weekend fire. (Colleen Whitford/Submitted to CBC)

The two fire trucks in the garage were removed before there was substantial damage to them, but they are being put out of service until they can be re-certified. 

Until then, Rose Valley, which is about 250 kilometres east of Saskatoon, will be serviced by fire stations in neighbouring Kelvington, Archerwill and Wadena. 

Rose Valley fire hall

An image of the Rose Valley fire hall, before the fire. (Google Maps )


  • In a previous version, the article said that the fire hall was destroyed. The fire chief has said that the building sustained significant damage.
    Dec 20, 2015 4:54 PM CT