A large Regina family had to scramble early Wednesday morning when a fire broke out behind their house.

A group of at least seven people got out of the home safely when a fire ripped through a shed behind a house at 1178 Montague St. in the city's North Central area.

The fire, which was called in just before 5:40 a.m. CST, burned the shed to the ground and damaged the back of the house. 

Thanh Luu, 13, was asleep when it started, but his dad got him up.

"He was running around telling everyone to wake up," Luu said. "When I woke up I saw red lights, see smoke, and the tree was burning."

The Regina Fire Department is investigating the fire. A damage estimate wasn't immediately available.