Fire extensively damages south Regina apartment
Tenants evacuated from 3-storey building, 2nd fire breaks out a east-side apartment
Fire crews had a long fight in brutal cold Friday when a three-storey apartment building burned in south Regina.
Calls came in just before 11 a.m. CST about the fire at 3015 Parliament Ave, a complex with 20 apartments, which had started in the kitchen of an apartment on the top floor and had extended into the roof.
Fire officials said everybody got out of the building at the corner of Robinson Street and Parliament Avenue and there were no reports of injuries.
Two people were rescued by crews.
"We discovered two people trapped on the third floor in one of the front apartments that required rescue and were forced to actually take them out over the balcony and down a ladder," Fire Chief Ernie Polsom said. "The fire conditions in the building were that severe."
The local Red Cross said they are ready to provide emergency assistance to people affected by the fire.
A reception centre has been set up at the Quality Inn at 1717 Victoria Avenue.
The agency said a disaster assistance team is doing needs assessments for evacuated residents and members are providing food, clothing and accommodation for 72 hours. Those who have been affected by the fire and are still in need of Red Cross assistance can call 1-888-800-6493.
At noon, aerial trucks were pouring water into the building. The temperature was -23 C.
Second Regina fire
Fire department resources were stretched when another apartment fire broke out in a different part of town. Crews fought a smaller blaze at 85 Cambridge Avenue in the Glencairn area on the east side of the city.
"Very few [fires] that I've seen have taken this amount of resources for this amount of time," deputy fire chief Gerard Kay said. "It was chaos."
Polsom said their resources were stretched to the maximum and some off-duty fire fighters were called in to help out.
Fires began in kitchens
The second fire on Friday, in Glencairn, also started in the kitchen area. Fire officials noted a fatal fire, on Monday in Regina, also started in a kitchen.
"Please remember, the number one cause in North America for fires and fire loss in homes is kitchen fires," Polsom said. "And interestingly all three of the fires this week have started in the kitchen area of the home."