A North Battleford teenager convicted of dangerous driving causing the deaths of three young women is now behind bars.
The teen, whowas 16 at the time of the fatal crash in June 2005, had been free while awaiting sentencing after the July 31, 2007, conviction. He was pulled over in Alberta earlier this month and charged with speeding.
That prompted the Crown inSaskatchewan to pursue a rare public interest warrant with a demand that he be locked up until sentencing next month.
Crown Nicole Leinenweber said Wednesday she wanted the young man, whose name can't be published, out from behind the wheel, and in jail.
"The protection of the public is something that is furthered rather than having him commit an offence that's similar," she said.
On Wednesday, provincial court Judge Violet Meekma agreed, ordering that the young man be jailed until his sentencing.
As to the question of how he could be driving in the first place, court heard that after his licence was suspended following the crash, the young man changed his name and got a learner's permit. That second licence was later suspended.
Defence lawyer Daryl Labach said the teen believed that he had a licence, adding he was disappointed at the judge's ruling.
"Does that all of a sudden mean that we have to lock him up until sentencing? I just don't see that that's the case," he said.
However, the father of one of the victims expressed relief.
"That's where he needs to be," he said. "They probably won't keep him there for too long but he's there now and that's good."
Court had previously heard the young man had been speeding on a two-lane highway near North Battleford on June 15, 2005, when he was in a head-on collision with a pickup truck. Two girls aged 16 and one woman aged 18, allpassengers in the car he was driving,died.
The man will be back in court on Sept. 12 for sentencing.