A former Saskatoon gymnastics coach will not have to answer to an allegation of sexual assault after the Crown prosecutor on Monday stayed the charge.

Mirel Bica, 40, was charged in 2008 after the parents of a 16-year-old girl told police the two were in an inappropriate relationship.

Police charged Bica with sexual exploitation and sexual assault. He had been working at the Marian Gymnastics club  in Saskatoon for about a year, but was fired 11 days prior to the charges being laid.

On Monday, the Crown stayed the charges. Prosecutor Robin Ritter told CBC News there was little chance of a conviction.

"The system has to work the way the system works," Ritter said in explaining the decision to drop the case. "We have standards that justify a prosecution and when those standards are not met we have to take steps to halt the prosecution."

Bica is not completely clear of the judicial system, however. After the original charges were laid, Bica was ordered not to contact the girl associated with the case.

He has since been accused of violating that order, which was one of his bail conditions.

Bica has opted to have that charge dealt with by a judge and jury, in the Court of Queen's Bench. No date has been set for a trial.