Notifications

Careless cooking likely cause of big fire in Regina

Investigators says careless cooking is likely to blame for the fire that destroyed a townhouse complex in Regina last Thursday, putting a dozen people out of their homes.

Appliance malfunction hasn't been ruled out, officials say

An early morning fire in Gladmer Park highlights need for good 911 communication, Dan Mario reports. 1:41

Investigators says careless cooking is likely to blame for the fire that destroyed a townhouse complex in Regina last Thursday, putting a dozen people out of their homes.

However, the possibility of an appliance malfunction has not been ruled out, officials said Wednesday.

The fire started on a stovetop element at a home at 844 Gladmer Park just before 5 a.m. CST.

It eventually spread to cupboards and then the rest of the home and the attached units.

A mother and five children who lived in the unit got out safely, as well as the people living in the other three units of the four-plex.

Some of them are living in temporary accommodations and are looking for a new place to live.