What better way to begin your Valentine's Day than with love songs chosen by one of Saskatchewan's best songwriters?
Regina's Melanie Hankewich, better known as Belle Plaine, was in charge of the playlist Sunday morning when she co-hosted Saskatchewan Weekend with CBC's Eric Anderson.
Valentine's Day holds special meaning for Hankewich. It was on Feb. 14 two years ago that she recorded a live album called The Unrequited Love. It's set for release next month, but several songs were played for the first time on Sunday's program.
In no particular order, here are the love songs Hankewich chose for Valentine's Day.
- Legendary - Belle Plaine - Notes from a Waitress
- Old Love - Belle Plaine - Notes from a Waitress
- Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis - Belle Plaine - The Unrequited Love
- Good Heart - Belle Plaine - The Unrequited Love
- Crazy Arms - Belle Plaine - The Unrequited Love
- You Turn Me On I'm A Radio - Joni Mitchell - For the Roses
- Safe and Sound - Hawksley Workman - For Him and the Girls
- No One's Gonna Love You (Quite Like I Do) - Jenn Grant - Compostela
- Sunburnt in LA - Library Voices - Lovish
- Could I Have This Dance - Anne Murray - Greatest Hits
- Taj Mahal - Sam Roberts - We Were Born In A Flame
- Patience Phipps (The Best To You) - Jay Malinowski & The Deadcoast - Martel
- Sugar Buzz - k.d. lang and the Siss Boom Bang - Sing It Loud
- 5 Days in May - Blue Rodeo - Five Days In July
- I Love - Tom T Hall - Country Songs For Children
- Stronger Than That - Bahamas - Bahamas is Alfie
- Vincent Gallo - Carolyn Mark & The New Best Friends - The Pros and Cons of Collaboration
- If I Were A Carpenter - Johnny Cash with June Carter Cash - The Essential Johnny Cash
- The Color of Love - Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash - Johnny Cash and His Woman
- Harvest Moon - Neil Young - Harvest Moon