James Lee Busch has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of Sandra Marie Ramsay. ((Saskatoon Police Service))

James Lee Busch, accused of killing Sandra Marie Ramsay last weekend in Saskatoon, was considered so dangerous a year ago that the National Parole Board refused to let him out of prison before his sentence was complete, according to documents released Wednesday to CBC News.

"[Y]ou have not reduced the risk you pose to the community," a three-person panel of the parole board wrote in a decision dated Nov. 4, 2009.

Busch was asking the board for parole so he could reintegrate into society gradually before the end of his sentence. He was serving five years and 10 months for aggravated sexual assault.

Instead of granting the request, the board kept Busch incarcerated until March 26, 2010, when he was released. Two months later, Busch is back behind bars, accused of second-degree murder.

The body of Ramsay, 41, was discovered in a garbage dumpster in a downtown Saskatoon alley on Saturday. It is not known how she died.

People in the area told CBC News that Ramsay led a difficult life and struggled with addictions. The woman was listed as having a room in an assisted-living apartment called the Lighthouse across the street from where she was found.

Previous convictions

The parole board documents on Busch reveal four previous convictions for violent offences, including assault with a weapon and assault of a peace officer.

In its most recent assessment of Busch, the board noted he had not made much progress dealing with issues that led him to crime.

"[Y]ou have demonstrated little or no awareness of your offence cycle and/or the triggers that lead to your violent offending behaviour," the board said. During the interview with the parole board, Busch was described as "agitated, impatient, frustrated, angry, rude and sarcastic."

It concluded that "no halfway house could be expected to manage your risk and protect the community," and early release was denied.

In a covering letter provided with the documents, officials from the parole board noted that once offenders have completed their sentences, they must be released.

"He remained in custody until the end of his sentence, at which time the institution where he was serving his sentence was required to released him from custody," the letter said.

Busch made his first court appearance on the second-degree murder charge Wednesday.