One of the people charged with second-degree murder, in relation to the death of man found clinging to a chunk of ice in Sandy Lake, has been released from custody on bail while the case works its way through the courts.
Dannie Justin Knife, 19, is one of four people accused in the death of Christian Bird, 27.
Bird was discovered by a passerby in May.
He was dead by the time RCMP brought him to shore.
Knife was released on several conditions:
- Keep the peace and be of good behaviour.
- Reside in Prince Albert.
- Follow a curfew from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Abstain from alcohol and drugs.
- Have no weapons.
- No contact with a long list of people.
- Stay away from the Ahtahkakoop First Nation, except for court matters.
Bird was from the Ahtahkakoop First Nation, which is near Sandy Lake.
Three others, who were under 18 at the time of the alleged killing, are also facing charges. Their names cannot be reported under the provisions of the Youth Criminal Justice Act. Sandy Lake is about 90 kilometres northwest of Prince Albert.