If you're spending time with the kids on Family Day, the time to start planning is today.
Jenn Smith Nelson, a local travel writer from the Travel and Happiness blog, shared her top suggestions for things to do on Family Day.
Be sure to check out CBC Saskatchewan's Family Day contest for the chance to win a prize pack.
1) Arctic Adventures at RCMP Heritage Museum
The RCMP Heritage Museum in Regina is organizing a full day on Family Day designed to get kids outside embracing winter. Parents can expect:
- Dog sled racing demos.
- Mock ice fishing.
- Crafting for kids.
- RCMP heritage museum access.
2) Wakamow Valley Park
- Park located just outside of Moose Jaw.
- Features 20 kilometres of trails to hike and snowshoe on, as well as free snowshoe rentals.
"Pack up the cocoa, some layers and head out for half a day or so there," Smith-Nelson said.
3) Cypress Hills getaway
If you like the idea of snow sports but are frustrated by the amount of brown ground showing around Regina, Smith-Nelson recommends a road trip to the Cypress Hills.
"Generally they do have a little bit more snow in the southwest of the province," she said.
- Visit the Reesor Ranch, where people can bring their snowmobiles and do cross-country skiing.
- Stay in a bed and breakfast, cabin or old log barn.
4) Go for a swim
- City pools, the YMCA or Travelodge Hotel.
- New Soaked Waterpark at Travelodge in Regina boasts water park system with stations.
- Best Western in Regina has 73 metre long water slide
"It looks really fun. I know my kids would love to be there," she said.
5) Saskatchewan Science Centre camp
- The Saskatchewan Science Centre is running a cinema-themed camp from Feb. 16 to 19.
- Kids can learn to make sound effects and their own movie, according to Smith-Nelson.
- Younger kids camp sold-out, still spots for kids ages nine to 11.
6) Check out local attractions
- Head to the Royal Saskatchewan Museum. "Just get them out, get them learning without knowing, get them running," Smith-Nelson said.
- School Haus Culinary Arts Family Day brunch on Valentine's Day.
- Kids can help create meals and learn kitchen skills while having fun.