6 Saskatchewan links to the Sochi Olympics
There are now 100 days to the opening ceremonies at the Sochi Olympics and Saskatchewan has a number of athletes and sports analysts who will be a part of the games.
There are now 100 days to the opening ceremonies at the Sochi Olympics.
Saskatchewan has a number of athletes and sports analysts who will be a part of the games:
- Hayley Wickenheiser: From Shaunavon, Wickenheiser is a mainstay on the women's hockey team. She is set to again lead Team Canada, which is seeking a fourth straight Olympic gold medal.
- Mark McMorris: From Regina, McMorris has enjoyed a remarkable year on the competitive snowboarding circuit. He is favoured to medal in the sport.
- Lucas Mackowsky: From Regina, Mackowsky makes his second appearance at the Olympics in speedskating. He won a gold medal for team pursuit at the Vancouver games. He is hoping to get back on podium for both the 1500 m and team pursuit events.
- Lyndon Rush: From Humboldt, Rush will be racing down the bobsled track for Canada. He earned a silver medal in Vancouver in the four man event.
- Joan McCusker, a celebrated curling champion, will be working at the games doing commentary and analysis for CBC's coverage of curling.
- Craig McMorris, Mark's brother, is calling snowboarding.