Prince Albert, Sask., does not need another bridge, a new report released by the provincial government says.
The study, released Thursday after being commissioned last year by the province, the City of Prince Albert and two local rural municipalities, throws some cold water on the notion that the city of 35,000 needs more than one bridge.
The study concludes the Diefenbaker Bridge has not reached its capacity for traffic and likely won't for another 30 years.
A debate about bridges took off in 2011 when a large crack appeared in the Diefenbaker Bridge traffic was restricted while it was repaired.
In the runup to the provincial election that year, the Opposition NDP promised to build a second bridge and the Saskatchewan Party government pledged to pay whatever it would cost to fix the bridge.
Highways Minister Don McMorris said Thursday that the province has spent $4.2 million restoring it and will work with the city to make sure that the bridge is well-maintained for the future.