2 men charged with murder in 2010 death of Burmese man

Saskatoon police have charged two men with first degree murder in connection with a fatal attack on a Burmese immigrant three years ago.

Saskatoon police have charged two men with first degree murder in connection with a fatal attack of a Burmese immigrant three years ago.

21-year-old Bobby Joe Baptiste and another man — who cannot be named because he was a minor when the attack occurred — both appeared by video in court this morning. They are in custody at the Saskatoon Correctional Centre. Court heard a list of more than a dozen individuals neither accused is allowed to contact.

Tie Kyaw, 40, also known as Tie Joe, died after being beaten and stabbed on the 1900 block of 22nd Street West on March 31, 2010.

Another Burmese immigrant, Aye Mngway, was stabbed in the attack. He was treated in hospital for serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.

Police arrested Baptiste in Edmonton on the morning of April 19. 

A second man, 20, was arrested Saturday morning at the Saskatoon Correctional Centre where he is already in custody.  He was 17 years old at the time of the slaying and cannot be named under provisions in the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Men attacked just metres from home

While recovering in the hospital three years ago, Mngway spoke with CBC News through an interpreter.  He said he was  walking home with Kyaw from Mano's Restaurant carrying a small bag of groceries and liquor the night of the attack. 

Police said that two men were approached by some youths who tried to rob them, just metres from Kyaw's apartment.

An altercation broke out in which Kyaw and Mngway were stabbed several times. They were both rushed to hospital where Kyaw died a short time later, while Mngway was treated for stab wounds to his side, legs and arms.

At the time Mngway said there were three men involved in the attack.

He managed to make it to his own apartment and call for help.

Police said the case remains open while investigators try to locate other people that may have been involved in the incident. They expect more charges.

Investigators say that no single break led to this weekend's arrests. Tie Kyaw was killed in 2010 — a year with ten murders in Saskatoon — and officers say they were only recently able to pursue leads developed in the original six-week investigation.