Many people in Charlottetown lost power after an electrical fire at the Hotel on Pownal. (CBC)

An electrical fire cut power to 3,000 Maritime Electric customers in Charlottetown Wednesday night.

Firefighters were called to the Hotel on Pownal in Charlottetown just after 9 p.m.

"Upon arrival we found heavy smoke in the basement and determined the electrical panel — the main electrical panel to the building was actually on fire," said Fire Chief Randy MacDonald.

"So Maritime Electric was called to the scene to disconnect the power to the building,"

The power was restored to all customers about an hour later.