Borden man gets 3 years for violent home invasion
CBC News
Posted: Mar 1, 2013 1:30 PM AT
Last Updated: Mar 1, 2013 4:24 PM AT
Related
Related Stories
A 20-year-old man from Borden, P.E.I., was sentenced to three and half years in prison Friday for his role in a violent home invasion.
Dustin Joseph Leo Noonan was sentenced in a Summerside courtroom after pleading guilty to charges of breaking and enter to commit a robbery and wearing a mask to commit an indictable offence.
According to investigators, just before midnight on August 17 last year, seven people wearing masks and carrying various weapons, including a Taser and a knife, entered a home in Albany.
The court heard today that the intruders used the Taser on a man in his 20s and then started kicking and punching him in the head.
The victim was hospitalized for a broken nose, and for cuts and bruises to his face.
According to facts presented in court the assailants tried to get into a bedroom, but a man and a woman inside resisted using a baseball bat.
Eventually the thieves left with a smartphone and about $1,000.
Both the assailants and the victim were known to deal drugs, according to police.
The court heard text messages recovered by police determined that Noonan was the principal attacker and that a total of nine people planned and executed the assault.
The eight others accused will appear in court on March 12 to enter their pleas on the charges they face.
Share Tools
Latest Prince Edward Island News Headlines
- Rebuilt cars to undergo stricter inspection on P.E.I.
- The Prince Edward Island government is implementing rules it says will make it harder for badly damaged vehicles to return to Island roads. more »
- Via cuts heading off the rails: transit group
- A group that promotes public transportation in the Atlantic provinces is warning that looming rail cuts could make an already inconvenient schedule even worse. more »
- Liberals call for labour mobility in Atlantic Canada
- Nova Scotia's Liberal leader is calling for more co-operation among the four Atlantic provinces. more »
- Fishermen try to stay positive after rough season
- The PEI Fishing Association says it's mulling over the idea of unifying their lobster fisheries under one brand in hopes of selling Island lobster for a premium price. more »
Top News Headlines
- Baby born HIV-positive apparently cured, say scientists
- A baby born with HIV appears to have been cured, scientists announced Sunday, describing the case of a child from Mississippi who's now 2 ½ and has been off medication for about a year with no signs of infection. more »
- Egypt's politician skewer, testing the limits of post-revolution satire
- Meet Egypt's Jon Stewart, a former heart surgeon turned late-night TV host whose biting satire has not endeared him to the country's political class. But, as Nahlah Ayed reports, comedian Bassem Youssef may be the revolution's real star. more »
- B.C. Liberals emergency cabinet meeting underway
- Eighteen Liberal cabinet ministers have gathered to meet with Premier Christy Clark at an emergency cabinet meeting in Vancouver. more »
- Body of man found in home where police officer was killed
- The lifeless body of a man has been found inside a home in northern Quebec, ending a 17-hour standoff that left one police officer dead and another seriously injured on Saturday night. more »
- Rebuilt cars to undergo stricter inspection on P.E.I.
- Fishermen try to stay positive after rough season
- Senator Mike Duffy's P.E.I. seat not safe yet
- Proposed duck hunting changes prompt protest
- Plan B opposers fundraise to help with protest
- EI audit manual outlines tips to root out fraud
- Liberals call for labour mobility in Atlantic Canada
- Borden man gets 3 years for violent home invasion
- Via cuts heading off the rails: transit group

