Some EI changes take effect Sunday
Labour association says P.E.I. should focus on retraining
Posted: Aug 5, 2012 2:44 PM AT
Last Updated: Aug 5, 2012 7:13 PM AT
Some changes to the employment insurance program took effect Sunday, but not everyone thinks the changes are an improvement.
Claimants will keep half of every dollar they earn when they find temporary work while on EI.
Currently, claimants keep the first $75, or 40 per cent, of their benefits, whichever is higher.
The province believes it'll drive economic growth, but the P.E.I. Federation of Labour says it'll be of little help for Islanders on EI.
Carl Pursey, president of the federation, says seasonal workers won't be able to find temporary work in the winter.
The government should focus on retraining workers and scrap the new, bigger changes that are scheduled to take effect early next year, he said.
Some workers in North Rustico told CBC News the changes to EI have become too complicated and they don't understand how it will work.
The changes will cost $74 million over two years.
Latest Prince Edward Island News Headlines
- Atlantic hurricane season forecast to be busy
- The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting is busier than average Atlantic hurricane season with up to 20 named storms, including as many as six major hurricanes. more »
- How was the Mike Duffy report 'whitewashed?'
- Opposition parties pushed the government on Thursday to answer questions about the "whitewashed" Duffy report while the RCMP is also seeking more information from the Senate as part of its review of questionable expenses. more »
- Too many bused to school on P.E.I.: report
- Not enough children on P.E.I. are walking or biking to school, says the 2013 Active Healthy Canada report, and that could be contributing to poor health. more »
- Apologize for Duffy Senate appointment, MP demands
- Prince Edward Islanders deserve an apology for the appointment of Mike Duffy as a senator for P.E.I., says Charlottetown MP Sean Casey. more »
Top News Headlines
- 2nd suspect in Tim Bosma murder case to plead not guilty
- The lawyer for Mark Smich says the Oakville, Ont., resident will plead not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, the Hamilton man who disappeared earlier this month after taking two men on a test drive of his truck. Smich was charged today, after Dellen Millard of Toronto was also charged with first-degree murder. more »
- 2 more arrests linked to hacking death of British soldier
- WARNING: This story contains graphic content. Two more people have been arrested by officers investigating the hacking death of a U.K. soldier in London, say British police. more »
- Neil Macdonald: Harper no Obama when it comes to dealing with scandals
- Beset by three so-called scandals at the moment, Barack Obama has been meeting his accusers and the press head on, Neil Macdonald writes. The same cannot be said for how Stephen Harper operates. more »
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford fires chief of staff
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford has parted ways with his chief of staff, the latest development in a tumultuous week at city hall where the pressure is growing for the mayor to comment on crack cocaine allegations raised by two media outlets. more »
- Motorcyclist killed in Marshfield collision
- Alcohol banned from campground for festival
- Holman Grand to reopen
- 35 laid off at UPEI
- Mike Duffy's primary home not P.E.I., unedited Senate report says
- Principal pleads guilty to luring a minor
- Car dealer faces $15K vandal bill
- Gay blood donation policy called improvement
- Peewee hockey bodychecking faces national ban