Smoking while starting snowmobile sparks fire
A fire that caused extensive damage to a mobile home and two outbuildings in eastern P.E.I. Friday evening was started when someone tried to start a snowmobile while smoking, says the provincial fire marshal.
The snowmobile was being stored in an outbuilding behind a mobile home in New Perth, north of Montague. "While trying to start it he also had a lit cigarette. Gasoline fumes from him trying to start the snowmobile were ignited by the lit cigarette," said Fire Marshal Dave Rossiter.
"He then tried to get the snowmobile out of the building but couldn't at that time, just because of the amount of fire that ensued. And the fire involved that structure plus a neighbouring structure outbuilding and a mobile home owned by the owner of that outbuilding."
The fire marshall said the man who was smoking was injured with burns on his hands and face. He was treated on the scene by Island EMS.
The owners of the buildings were not at home when the fire broke out.