An elementary school in Charlottetown sent its students home at 12:30 as a precaution following an ammonia leak at an arena next door.
A hazmat team, fire and police officials were on scene following a report of a chemical leak at the Cody Banks Arena. The arena was evacuated and students at Sherwood School sent home.
"It appears as though there is a chemical leak inside the ice making plant," said Charlottetown deputy police chief Gary McGuigan.
"We have set up restrictions around the area."
P.E.I. public safety officials report it was a small leak in a valve in the compressor room. They say two members of the hazmat team shut it off and then began airing out the building.