Candle blamed for Stratford fire

A fire in Stratford, P.E.I., Sunday morning was started by a candle, says the P.E.I. Fire Marshal's Office.

Fire ruled accidental

A candle was blamed for starting the house fire in Stratford. (www.learningsupportcentre.com)

A fire in Stratford, P.E.I., Sunday morning was started by a candle, says the P.E.I. Fire Marshal's Office.

A woman and her two adult children escaped from the fire without injuries. There was heavy smoke damage in the house and the Red Cross provided emergency lodging.

The fire marshal's office ruled the fire as accidental, and attributed it to an unattended candle igniting combustible materials.

The fire marshal's office said candles should be blown out before leaving a room, and should be at least 30 centimetres away from anything that can burn. 

Embers started fire in Mount Carmel

The results of the investigation into a fire in Mount Carmel, P.E.I., Dec. 5 were also released.

That fire destroyed a shed housing a wood-burning furnace.

The fire was ruled accidental, caused by radiant heat from embers that ignited combustible materials.