The P.E.I. government has decided not to move forward with private purchasing or leasing deals for any of the four provincially-owned golf courses this year.
Tourism Minister Rob Henderson said several proposals came in but they did not meet government's expectations.
"Until we know that we've got the best deal possible, that makes some sense to government, I don't want to inhibit that process by trying to rush it just for the sake of the coming season," Henderson told CBC News Thursday.
Henderson said seven bids came in following the province's request for proposals. Some of them have already been rejected, but negotiations are continuing on others. He would not say how many of the proposals are still on the table.
Henderson noted 2012 saw an overall improvement in the performance of the four provincially-run courses, with losses down almost $100,000 compared to 2011.
The four courses still saw combined losses of more than $800,000 last year.